Friday, September 14, 2012

An Affair to Remember

                                                                                                                                  June 04, '08



A couple of weeks ago, I had the good fortune to be able to attend a conference of ex-seminarians (Philippine Alliance of Ex-Seminarians -PAX) held in Tacloban, Leyte (Palo, actually).  Aside from the usual amiable fellowship and good-natured camaraderie as only ex-sems can generate when they meet, I also met personally the archbishop of Palo, His Eminence, Jose S. Palma, DD.  I found this Prince of the Church so gracious and unassuming, a perfect picture or model of what I like to see in any Christian leader.  I was so inspired that when I came home from that conference, I found some renewed zeal to try to do my bit in my twilight years.
Right away I drafted a letter to the archbishop  which in office legalese is termed "self-explanatory."  I have taken the liberty to try if I can to re-produce the letter on this blog (unfamiliar as I am with this new-fangled medium).  I am hoping that some others would pick up on the idea and do an even much better job.  I don't mind. I will lay the basic principles or premises at another time.  For now, suffice it to say that we must accept "that the Philippines is a poor country, and we must learn to avail of and accept charity."

No comments:

Post a Comment