Friday, September 14, 2012

OUR GREATEST FEAR



Apr 28, '09 7:16 PM
for everyone
Our Greatest Fear
I recently came across a great quote.  I believe it could help cure an affliction which I have suffered for quite some time, a burden which has bugged me for so long.  For lack of a better term, I will simply refer to it as "false modesty."  I think many of us, especially Christians, are afflicted with or prone to this disease. Somebody has summed in up this way:  "It's hard to be humble when you are as great as I am."  I believe many of us can be characterized as "under-achievers" on account of this hang-up with the Christian virtue of humility.  We are afraid to be labeled "YABANG."  Or is it simply a case of lack of self-confidence?
As a result, many of us fail to achieve or attain our full potential.  I have often heard my brother, ED, complain that we the LANSANGs don't seem to be aware, don't seem to care to use or avail or take advantage of our connections, opportunities, friends, relations. As a result, the most or the best that can be said of us is that we have achieved some "moderate success."  Then we blame God for not giving us the same opportunities and talents which others were apparently blessed with. 
Could this partly explain why we Filipinos are so poor, why we often settle for mediocrity instead of opting for excellence in what we do; why we allow ourselves to be oppressed, laughed at and abused?  Have we embraced the term “mga api sa mundo?”  Do we have an obsessive preferential option for humility, or to play the role of, identify with and cheer for the underdog? Anyway, here is the quote:
Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.”  Mt. 5:16
YOU (WE - ALL OF US), yes, YOU are a child of the universe ... you have a right to be here.  More importantly, you have the right (and the obligation) to achieve your full potential. Otherwise, baka sisihin pa tayo ni Lord.  “Ikaw naman, parang binaliwala mo yata ang regalo ko sa iyo.”- James D. Lansang

lukeabaya wrote on Apr 28, '09
You are speaking like an angel that you are.
Espavo, my friend

sjyap60 wrote on Apr 28, '09
So true, Kuya James, so true. And nothing more need be added ..... Roma locuta, causa finita.

butchcelestial wrote on Apr 28, '09

Is this some kind of phobia: 'Fear of mediocrity' - or is it the other way around . . . . . . .

jeemsdee wrote on Apr 28, '09
lukeabaya said
Espavo, my friend 
ESPAVO! I had to look up the term and it's most appropriate, Bro. LUKE.
It seems almost the rought equivalent of MORE POWER! From now on, I will try not to shrink from success. Instead, in all modesty, I will luxuriate in it, will be inspired to do even better - all of course AMDG.

As St Paul said: what have you which you did not receive; and if you did receive it, why do you boast (or DENY) as if you had not received it. 1 Cor. 4:7. tnx agn, Bro. Luke. Best regards.

jeemsdee wrote on Apr 28, '09
sjyap60 said
Roma locuta, causa finita. 
Tnx, Bro. SAM. As much as I would like to share some of my thoughts, I will endeavor to avoid pontificating - which you will realize is not so easy when one seems to think he is speaking URBI ET ORBE

jeemsdee wrote on Apr 28, '09
Quite the contrary, Bro. Butch. It is more like a fear or phobia of "sucess/or excellence/ or failure." I will try to look for the Greek term, if it will help to convince you. Rgards...

cecilpf wrote on Apr 28, '09
Welcome back. Even here in States, you kept us wondering what the heck happened to you. Your XVD comrades here kept inquiring when can we hear from you again...Your thoughts, your sharing is a constant source of inspiration and stimulant to intellectual as well as spiritual interactions. Simply great to hear form you again. Mabuhay and praise the Lord.
Forget about that syndrome. Come out and proclaim to the world God's wonderful works in you. The beauty and grandeur of God is for us to actualize and for others to discover. The world, the universe and formost man himself (being the crown of creation) as created by God, is for us to discover. This holds true for you, for everyone.
Man must know his limitations. That's humility.
But he must also know his potentials...that's his destiny.

jeemsdee wrote on Apr 29, '09
Tnx, Kuya CECIL. You captured and articulated in not so many words what I had been grappling with all along. The quote is still true, "as we let our light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. tnx agn. rgards...

butchcelestial wrote on Apr 29, '09
cecilpf said
Man must know his limitations. That's humility.
But he must also know his potentials...that's his destiny.
 

I liked that very much, sir.

I also heard Mat 5:16 recently quoted by Chief Justice Reynato Puno when he was guest of honor at FGBMFI convention. He also said about burning with light and PASSION which is a very Christ-like character.


paga65 wrote on Apr 29, '09
Welcome back Kuya James, from the Big Apple.I continually observe here the trait of Americans especially New York the preponderance of self confidence. They talk loud in the streets, dream big, assert themselves and constantly confront their fears. Of course this can also be stressful and abrasive often. Yesterday I was in American Museum of Natural History and I read this quote of T. Roosevelt etched on a wall in the great hall: If I were to choose between peace and righteousness, I would choose the latter.

gpenilla wrote on Apr 29, '09
As always, your essays jiggle the mind. Worth the long wait.

elmersarmiento wrote on Apr 29, '09
I thought the meek will inherent the earth?

jeemsdee wrote on Apr 29, '09
Tnx, Kuya FABULOUS. Hope you're enjoying your tour. Tried living there myself for a while. The Americans too had to go through the worst of times before they got to be where they are. Now is their moment in the sun; and it seems it's beginning to fade. Their greatest fear must be how long it's going to last. Lucky thing they have had quite a few leaders with vision to look beyond personal gain. Maybe a few hundred years from now - if we're lucky - we shall get our of this rut. Enjoy the tour.

jeemsdee wrote on Apr 29, '09
tnx, GREG. Give our best to Pacman.

jeemsdee wrote on Apr 29, '09
Hi, Kuya ELMER. It's still true, the meek and humble of heart will inherit the earth ... eventually. However, there is a difference between being meek and being timid and cowardly. It has been said that "God owns the world ... and lends it to the brave."

butchcelestial wrote on Apr 29, '09
jeemsdee said
Now is their moment in the sun; and it seems it's beginning to fade. Their greatest fear must be how long it's going to last. 

Gibbon-esque . . . . .


jeemsdee wrote on Apr 29, '09

Gibbon-esque . . . . .
Kuya BUTZ, had to look up the term. never yet used nor encountered the term until now. you make it all sound too profound than it really is. but tnx agn.

ckmshs69 wrote on Apr 29, '09
St. Arnold J., St. Josef F., St. Ignatius, St. Francis X., and Albert Einstein, showed us how to, and, its "cool", to fully achieve our GOD given potentials. Perhaps it is failing, sometimes, to recognize and acting on "opportunities" presented to us, that is causing us to be under-achievers. Never too late to realize and do.

jeemsdee wrote on Apr 30, '09
You raise a wise point there, Kuya BOB - "failing..to recognize...act on opportunities..." Indeed, it is rather ironic that we even sometimes envy and begrudge some of our more enterprising if ambitious friends who have taken advantage of (or literally cashed in on ) opportunities, events, connections... and label them as "opportunists." I wonder if our seminary training had anything to do with our tendency to instinctively disdain the so-called "things of this world."

butchcelestial wrote on Apr 30, '09
jeemsdee said
I wonder if our seminary training had anything to do with our tendency to instinctively disdain the so-called "things of this world. 

My sister convinced me to try the 'world' out so I left CKMS for UP. I really wanted to become a priest then. I became an 'activist' in the process and a year in the Camp Lapu-Lapu detention center. Somehow the 'world' did not work for me. I sometimes feel, 'I could have become a missionary'. Did I lose something here? I do not know but I feel I was made by God for those who are lost.


jeemsdee wrote on Apr 30, '09
Kuya BUTZ - I may not know you all that well personally. But you have struck me as a deeply committed and religious person. Whatever you may have "lost" on account of your days in the seminary have gained for you a worthy place in your Father's mansion. "Well done, good and faithful servant ... come and share your master's joy." Mt. 25:23

resumus wrote on Apr 30, '09
I’d like to take only one dimension of fear: at its bottom is ignorance. That’s where most of my fears come from – the thought that anything can happen if I don’t know what I’m talking about.

jeemsdee wrote on Apr 30, '09
Kuya RENE, it's gud to hear frm you agn. I agree with you. But ignorance is only one dimension of fear. The need to feel that one is in control is the other side of the coin. While others just feel free to "just do it..." blissfully unmindful of the consequences.. or readily, or bravely facing the music. Lakas ng loob. Mlakas ang apog. Call it competitive spirit or maintaining a competitive edge. Come to think of it - there is also an element of humility. One may be too proud to accept the possibility of failure or rejection. Then there's the lack of passion, motivation, drive. You are wise to limit yourself to the one dimension you suggested. rgards

pcsokaka wrote on May 13, '09
Now, what's next?
After all the exchanges, now, what's next, Kuyas?

butchcelestial wrote on May 13, '09
pcsokaka said
Now, what's next?
After all the exchanges, now, what's next
 

Natawa ako talaga dito sir kaka . . . . hihihi . . . .

As soon as I saw you name as the latest comment I immediately look for you beautiful prose . . . . . then this . . . .

'Now, what's next?
After all the exchanges, now, what's next' . . . . . short terse sentence . . . . . . like you are not yourself . . . . . harharhar . . . . .


jeemsdee wrote on May 13, '09
pcsokaka said
now, what's next, Kuyas? 
The blogging finger has typed, and having writ...what else is there ...a man much wiser than me has said that "thought should be a GUIDE to action, not a substitute for it."

No comments:

Post a Comment