Saturday, September 15, 2012

ON VOLUNTARY OR INVOLUNTARY SERVITUDE...



Mar 18, '10 11:18 PM
for everyone
On Voluntary and Involuntary Servitude
(Or, The Little Secret of the Saints)

As you may realize, I got time in my hands.  I’m retired.  Most of the time I’m too busy doing nothing.  Let me hasten to add, however, that that’s not quite true.  To my maid it may look like I’m doing nothing, that I’m just a plain, house-bound, lazy old fool fooling around with his computer.  
Actually, I’m engaged in a luxury most people can ill-afford.  I got time to reflect, to ponder, to think things over.  And sometimes I do.  It’s a pastime I now enjoy and wouldn’t trade for all the pearls in the deep blue sea.
Lately, I’ve been trying to figure out why we fail, falter or fall (short) when it comes to our apostolic zeal, our desire to do good – and not count the cost.
Nevermind the priests and the so-called religious people, or people like Bro. Eddie, Bro. Mike, Eli Soriano, and a Johnny-come-lately called Quilboloy.  They do it for a living.  And from all indications, they seem to get well-paid for their efforts, often luxuriating in their chosen profession, thanks in no small measure to their constant reference to some vague if dubious citation from the Old Testament about obligatory tithing.  That’s their job.  It’s work for them. And, “truly, I say to you, they have received their reward in full.” Mt. 6:1
I would call that “involuntary servitude.” 
When a security guard agrees to don a monkey suit of a uniform and just stand there under the sun for 8 to 10 hours, that’s work, that’s involuntary servitude.  Like it or not, he’s got to do it or his family will starve.  Nobody talks about whether or not he likes or enjoys what he’s doing.  To a greater or lesser degree that’s true for the gold, diamond or coal miner working thousands of feet below the ground under hellish working conditions; the laundrywoman, the factory worker or some lowly contract worker overseas.  They all just have to grin a bear it.  No excuses, no ifs or buts, no goofing around allowed.
I have in mind the other kind of servitude.  Those who profess or agree to serve others voluntarily, to do good, to work in the vineyard of the Lord, and expect nothing in return.  And I mean absolutely nothing.  No pecuniary remuneration, or its equivalent, no self-fulfillment to speak of, no gratitude to expect, no plaques or citations, no recognition, photo-ops or monuments in one’s honor. Least of all, not some juicy, cushy government position or a seat in Congress.
Now, that may justifiably be referred to as “voluntary servitude.”
Why I ask again do we all too often fail or falter or fall short whenever it involves some voluntary effort on our part to work to promote “the kingdom,” to work in the vineyard of the Lord, and do it all “for the greater glory of God?”
Why do we always seem to find all sorts of excuses, justifications, faults (in others – it’s always the other guy’s fault) for our failure or refusal to join, to participate, to cooperate, to organize and to manage (well) and promote such voluntary efforts and activities?
In my lifetime of participating in such volunteer efforts, community, religious, cultural, social, inter-racial, inter-denominational, I have heard most excuses.
“I can’t stand that fellow.”  “Masyado mayabang.” “KIT (Know-It-All) siya.”
“That guy is a hypocrite.  They’re all hypocrites, opportunists.” “Pharisees.”
 “That guy is a crook, a sinner, a womanizer and I cannot be associated with him.”
“That guy has taken advantage of my generosity, our friendship.” “This guy is only thinking of himself and not the organization.” “They are all insincere. They are not committed. (As I am.)” 
“They don’t care about me.”
“I’ve been hurt.”
“I don’t believe (anymore) in the mission/vision of the organization.” “The leaders are not fit to lead.  They have other agenda.”  “They’ve stolen/misspent the funds.”
“I’m too busy.”  “I have no time/money.”
“I got better things too do.”  “Those guys don’t listen to me.”  “They don’t show me any respect.”  “They don’t deserve me.”  Or, “what’s in it for me?”
“It’s too (damn) hard.”  “It can’t be done.”  “I’ll have no part in it.”
I can only imagine how Jesus must have felt at the Last Supper.
Here he was knowing, proclaiming and predicting that he was going to die the next day and his twelve apostles were busy thinking and bickering about their own little “special room” in the Heavenly Mansion.
Jesus of course being Jesus knew or found the answer to the predicament.
I’m not sure exactly how he phrased it in Aramaic.  For lack of a better term, he simply called it “PARAKLETOS,” or Greek for Comforter. Actually, I believe  what he meant or was referring to was the Holy Spirit, or if you believe in the Holy Trinity,  God – the Holy Spirit; or quite simply, GOD himself.
That’s right, believe it or not.  There’s your answer right there.  As corny, simplistic  or arcane as it may sound, GOD, simply put, is the answer.
You must do it all for GOD, silly.  Or, “Ad majorem Dei Gloriam.” AMDG as the disciples of St. Ignatius have been taught.  Tama pala si Bro. Bob M.
Do it all for GOD, or fail.
To realize and accept this is Pentecost, the coming of the Holy Spirit.
No wonder Fr. Arnold Janssen, SVD, had a special devotion to the Holy Spirit; and thus became a Saint.
Or, St. Benedict – “That in all things God may be glorified.”
In short, we are supposed to forget about our own little self, our own frustrations, ambitions, motivations, faults and frailties. You’re doing it all for God.  You are merely a humble instrument in the hands of God.  Any other way is egotistical and therefore vain, inane and useless as found by Job.  Everthing else is irrelevant.
To accept this of course requires a lot of faith, the kind that moves mountains. Mk.11:22; Mt.21:21
We must learn to find in everything we do, touch or encounter the image of God himself.  Thus, the greatest saints (Thomas or Augustine?) postulated : “DEUS IN OMNIA EST, ET INTIME.” God is in all things, and intimately so.
Such faith might also help to make you humble, to forget about your own little pricked pride, your own goals and agenda, your own little ideas, your own plans and projects with your name stamped on them;  indeed, to die to self, if necessary.
Consider it like your own a little crucifixion. 
I believe the greatest saints stumbled upon this little secret.  So…
Here’s to all you would-be Mother Theresas out there.  May the saints, particularly, your Patroness, St. Mother Theresa, be with you! – JAMES D. LANSANG

cecilpf wrote on Mar 19, '10, edited on Mar 19, '10
Kuya James,
You sure have a knack of jolting back to our "religious/spiritual" senses (if ever there's any left), SVD & XVD alike. You know you could be a retreat master. It's a gift in itself...to pull us down from our castles in the air, or the very least hurl us down from our ivory towers.
Be like Guilermo Tolentino's oblation...reaching out to the Almighty, yet with his feet firmly planted on our earthly realities.
Allow me to deviate to another issue, if you don't mind.
I hope we'll have more legal luminaries with the likes of you, to lead our people when the SC shall have lost their credibility when the majority have prostituted their decisions to the powers that be. Mal palacio locuta (via curia suprema), causa finita. No way. Lead! Disseminate! Vox populi est lex suprema.

jeemsdee wrote on Mar 19, '10
cecilpf said
You know you could be a retreat master 
Tnx, Kuya CECIL, as usual you are most kind. In my twilight years I would rather walk the talk. On politics, don't lose hope. Give it another 200 years or so and then maybe we'll be dealing with more sophisticated problems, instead of poverty, corruption and lack of basic services.

butchcelestial wrote on Mar 19, '10

BRAVO! Kuya James, you hit it right on the head. Your litany of excuses show it all: Its all about selfishness. The first sin in the garden - PRIDE. When we lose ourselves we gain God.

paga65 wrote on Mar 20, '10
bato bato sa langit.

jeemsdee wrote on Mar 20, '10
paga65 said
bato bato sa langit 
No offense intended, Kuya. rgards

resumus wrote on Mar 22, '10
Involuntary servitude I can understand. The pain is probably similar to my involuntary ugliness. But voluntary servitude? I thought that by teaching my kids to stay as far away as possible from jail is good enough contribution to society. I’m inclined to believe that lessening the number of criminal inmates by four is a viable option. I can only handle as much, you know. Had God intended me to become a saint, He would have given me a stronger temperance to control my cholesterol level. He would not have allowed Mila’s lechon to prosper. He would not have placed meat in animals. And the crabs. And the shrimps. My goodness! (Please include this in your list of excuses). Voluntary servitude is truly heavy stuff. I can’t even understand why I have to choose between one candidate whose brother died and another whose parents died as well. Or have I digressed again?

No comments:

Post a Comment